Diabetes Care at Southgate Manor
- Diabetes affects more than 25 million people in the United States. Among U.S. residents 65 years and older, 10.9 million, or 26.9% had diabetes in 2010
- Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, non-traumatic lower-limb amputations, and new cases of blindness among adults in the United States.
- Diabetes is a major cause of heart disease and stroke.
- People with diabetes are twice as likely to have depression, which can complicate diabetes management, than people without diabetes.
- Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States
(Source: Center for Disease Control, National Diabetes Fact Sheet)
With diabetes on the rise, Southgate Manor works with you to help you lower your sugar levels, exercise, and eat properly. Our physical therapists work with you to establish an exercise program to help you lose weight, decrease blood pressure, and regulate blood sugar. Our dietitian teaches you how the foods you eat can affect your blood sugar and your overall health by working with you to create a healthy diet plan and by determining which food choices are best when dealing with diabetes and other health issues. Our goal is to help you live a long and healthy life.